‘We are a proverbial dumpster fire’: LHSAA Executive Director Eddie Bonine stands by comment

number1

‘We are a proverbial dumpster fire’: LHSAA Executive Director Eddie Bonine stands by comment

ROBIN FAMBROUGH| RFAMBROUGH@THEADVOCATE.COM

LHSAA Executive Director Eddie Bonine did not back down from the contents of a report that circulated on social media Thursday in which he called the Louisiana high school sports landscape “a proverbial dumpster fire.”

The report was given by Bonine to colleagues at the National Federation of High School Associations Summer Meeting this week in Reno, Nevada. He said it was not intended for distribution to media outlets.

In the report, Bonine details the current select/nonselect school issues and closes by saying: “Simply put … we are a proverbial dumpster fire!”

Bonine attached a picture of a burning garbage container.

The report, addressed to Jerome Singleton of NFHS Board of Directors, details the fact that LHSAA principals voted to expand their select/nonselect split to include 12 championships in boys and girls basketball, baseball and softball to go along with the split into nine football championships that was approved in 2013.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lates...utive-director-eddie-bonine-stands-by-comment

Yeah, this dude won't be employed much longer.

My question is, how did he get hired in the first place? Louisiana backwards good ole boys network runs deep in that state, which is why the state can't seem to get anything right. Systemic social problems, worst interstate system in the country, corrupted jails and prisons, and now this. Nothing surprises me about the backwards logic that comes out of Louisiana, which most of it is due to maintaining its good ole boys network and making sure others are left out. A Red State at its best.

Reading the comments section, I fully understand why coaches have been pushing this split. Private schools are really pushing the idea that the public schools depend on them for athletic success and that them leaving the LHSAA would bankrupt the organization. Some private school coaches have been quoted saying similar things. They're threatening that sponsors will withhold support from the public school sports programs because the private schools control everything. If I were the head, I'd call their bluff.

Reading the comments section, I fully understand why coaches have been pushing this split. Private schools are really pushing the idea that the public schools depend on them for athletic success and that them leaving the LHSAA would bankrupt the organization. Some private school coaches have been quoted saying similar things. They're threatening that sponsors will withhold support from the public school sports programs because the private schools control everything. If I were the head, I'd call their bluff.
The private schools need the public schools.

The private schools need the public schools.

The larger, Catholic schools (New Orleans Catholic League, Catholic-BR, Notre Dame-Crowley, Holy Savior Menard and others) have the pockets to afford a split. Evangel and Calvary Baptist may be fine also.

It's the other private schools that won't be able to survive without the public schools in LHSAA. Folks don't realize that the cost of securing facilities, deals with the officials from each sport, insurances and other costs will make it hard for private schools to stand on their own without LHSAA. Also, politically these coaches and schools can go into "gentlemen's agreements" or the school board can decree that their schools don't play private schools in the event of a split.

It's a lot deeper than these multiple championships.

The larger, Catholic schools (New Orleans Catholic League, Catholic-BR, Notre Dame-Crowley, Holy Savior Menard and others) have the pockets to afford a split. Evangel and Calvary Baptist may be fine also.

It's the other private schools that won't be able to survive without the public schools in LHSAA. Folks don't realize that the cost of securing facilities, deals with the officials from each sport, insurances and other costs will make it hard for private schools to stand on their own without LHSAA. Also, politically these coaches and schools can go into "gentlemen's agreements" or the school board can decree that their schools don't play private schools in the event of a split.

It's a lot deeper than these multiple championships.
Plus the private schools would be split far apart, especially in the North.

Plus the private schools would be split far apart, especially in the North.

It will hurt the private schools to split from LHSAA in football, but hurt more in the other sports. Just think of those far-flung schools trying to compete with LHSAA to get officials.

I'm pretty sure the officials want to split to happen for sure economics. If the private schools and LHSAA schools split and need officials, they can hustle and up their fees due to a bidding war between the groups. In the long haul, the public schools can maintain that money because they'll be in a bloc. Hell, the private schools got their own beefs.

Back