‘The Color Purple’ musical becomes highest-selling theatre production at Jackson State

bernard

THEE Realist
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Jackson State University rolled out the purple carpet this weekend for the award-winning musical The Color Purple.

The Color Purple is a musical based on the 1982 novel The Color Purple by Alice Walker. The musical follows the journey of Celie, an African-American woman in the South, during the mid-20th century.

Celie is played by Jim High Senior Catia Madison — one of the few high school-age students in the college production.

“I had the privilege of running across her when she was in the seventh grade. I was emceeing for a show, and I was at the back of the stage waiting, and I heard this voice. I made contact with her, and we’ve been working together ever since. She has taken his lead role to phenomenal levels,” Musical Director Mark Henderson said.

According to Henderson, this is one of the highest-selling productions JSU has put on in a long time.

Opening night was Thursday, and since then, the university’s 1,400-seat auditorium has been at just about full capacity each night.

Henderson says the play is bringing a lot of needed attention to both the Arts and Theatre Programs.

Monday at 7:30 p.m. will be the last chance to watch the production. Tickets can be bought on Eventbrite.

I attended the last performance and I tell you it was Fantastic! Very well orchestrated and full of talented cast members! Harpo, Celie, Shug, Squeak, Mister, Sofia and the three women narrators were good enough to travel the country like Tyler Perry! Dr. Henderson and
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Jackson State University rolled out the purple carpet this weekend for the award-winning musical The Color Purple.

The Color Purple is a musical based on the 1982 novel The Color Purple by Alice Walker. The musical follows the journey of Celie, an African-American woman in the South, during the mid-20th century.

Celie is played by Jim High Senior Catia Madison — one of the few high school-age students in the college production.

“I had the privilege of running across her when she was in the seventh grade. I was emceeing for a show, and I was at the back of the stage waiting, and I heard this voice. I made contact with her, and we’ve been working together ever since. She has taken his lead role to phenomenal levels,” Musical Director Mark Henderson said.

According to Henderson, this is one of the highest-selling productions JSU has put on in a long time.

Opening night was Thursday, and since then, the university’s 1,400-seat auditorium has been at just about full capacity each night.

Henderson says the play is bringing a lot of needed attention to both the Arts and Theatre Programs.

Monday at 7:30 p.m. will be the last chance to watch the production. Tickets can be bought on Eventbrite.

MADDRAMA has done it again!

Back