Meanwhile at Virginia State...

Barlow knows Valley is a dead end job and would not consider leaving D-2 VA State.

Marshall was a dead end job when the school lost all of its players to a deadly plane crash, but now they are a mid-level FBS powerhouse. Unless a dream job comes along, such as FAMU in Barlow's case, coaches take whatever opportunity that they are given. Barlow would definitely have something to prove if he was back in the SWAC, especially against the school that fired him.

Last edited:
To coach at the FCS level again and a chance to beat Alabama State and win the east.

I think he can get a FCS job outside of just taking the Valley job. Especially if he continues to win at Va State. Might be some MEAC jobs coming up in a year or so.

I think he can get a FCS job outside of just taking the Valley job. Especially if he continues to win at Va State. Might be some MEAC jobs coming up in a year or so.

I'm sure he will, but if no other FCS job comes available, he would take the Valley job like a fish to water.

Barlow would not take the Valley job... are you guys serious?
Comegy used to kick Barlow's azz at JSU and Alabama State's at TU but he can't even win at Valley.
Where there is no money, there are no wins!

..and FAMU would never hire Barlow. VaState is a good gig. They have a lot of support for that program. They want to win!

If that is the case about Jones' coaching, how about Spady's?

Jones left no talent and no competent long term qb. Developing a good qb is probably the toughest and the longest of any position. Spady had no time to recruit one for his first season, so that season was lost. The next season he had to take what was available until one of his recruits matured. Next year is crucial because he will have had his recruits at qb for a couple of years and three or four preseason of practice.

This team's play is better than what we saw at the end of Jones's tenure.

Barlow would be a good hire for Valley, but I doubt he would take the job if Comegy leaves. He might look at the Valley job like it is an accident waiting to happen because a proven recruiter like Comegy couldn't pull off 1 winning season.

Jones left no talent and no competent long term qb. Developing a good qb is probably the toughest and the longest of any position. Spady had no time to recruit one for his first season, so that season was lost. The next season he had to take what was available until one of his recruits matured. Next year is crucial because he will have had his recruits at qb for a couple of years and three or four preseason of practice.

This team's play is better than what we saw at the end of Jones's tenure.

If he thinks he is gonna run a pistol at AAMU, he may as well resign.

QB's are hit or miss....some can come in and succeed immediately while others who've been in the system never amount to much....the SWAC had consistent QB play in the 80, 90s, early 2000s so were we getting better players or developing better?

Back