SU's Tillery could become SWAC career rushing leader

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
Here you go @bluedog

Tillery — the Jaguars’ all-time leading rusher — enters this season with 3,140 career rushing yards. Tillery’s career total is 910 yards shy of the league’s all-time top mark, the 4,050 yards racked up by Jackson State’s Destry Wright (1997-99).

Tillery is only one of 14 SWAC rushers since 1970 to gain over 3,000 career rushing yards. He can join Wright as the only post-1970 SWAC running backs with 4,000-plus career yards with 860 this season.

http://hbcusports.com/2016/07/12/hbcu-media-days-previewing-the-2016-swac-football-season/

It's amazing to think he was a walk-on & now he's at this point. Much success to him this season but not too much vs us lol. Hope he breaks the record & then continues on towards the nfl draft prospect.

He is the type of kid that you want to be the face of your athletic program, and I'm not saying that because he is a Jag.

I will argue with anyone that Tillery is the most complete RB I've seen in a while in the conference. Nobody really talks about it, but he is awesome in pass protection. Pass pro is something RBs get skittish about, but if you look at the tape you will see Tillery slide and dig a shoulder into a free blitzed time and time again.

It's amazing to think he was a walk-on & now he's at this point. Much success to him this season but not too much vs us lol. Hope he breaks the record & then continues on towards the nfl draft prospect.
Yes, thankfully he chose to come to SU despite the walk-on offer. It would have been crazy to see the top 2 SWAC RBs leave BR because we didn't offer them scholarships. Just imagine having both Tillery and Hebert in the same backfield. smh

Here's what I've compiled on career rushing stats ... the best I could find from post 1970-players. Problem is the SWAC doesn't have a centralized area of compiled statistics

@Bewildered

Player School Career Total yards

Destry Wright Jackson State 1997-1999 4,050 (SWAC & JSU top rusher)
Lewis Tillman Jackson State 1984-1988 3,989
Frank Warren Grambling State 2007-2010 3,910 (Grambling top rusher)
Eric Gant Grambling State 1990-1994 3,795
Brad Baxter Alabama State 1985-1988 3,732 (Alabama State top rusher)
Walter Payton Jackson State 1971-1974 3,563
Rico White Alabama State 1990-1993 3,470
Robert Parham Grambling State 1977-1980 3,449
Donald Babers Prairie View A&M 2007-2010 3,403 (PV top rusher; i know there's an old guy from the 50s with 3,702)
Keldrick Williams Alabama State 2003-2005 3,348
Walter Dean Grambling State 1986-1990 3,328
Lenard Tillery Southern U. 2013-present 3,140 (active/Southern's top rusher)
Johntà Hebert Prairie View A&M 2012-2015 3,133
Steve Wofford Southern U. 1996-1998 3,015
———
Corey Holmes Miss. Valley State 1999-2000 2,897 (Valley's top rusher)
Martell Mallet Arkansas-Pine Bluff 2005-2008 2,888 (UAPB's top rusher)

Carl Bynum Miss. Valley State 1982-1985 2,851
Kaderius Lacey Alabama A&M 2009-2012 2,817 (AAMU's top rusher)
James Johnson Jackson State 1982-1985 2,813
Malcolm Cyrus Alabama State 2011-2014 2,736
Ulysses Banks Alabama A&M 2007-2009 2,565
Ab Kuuan Grambling State 2003-2006 2,502
Marcus Wright Texas Southern 2008-2011 2,459 (TSU's top rusher)
William Arnold Jackson State 1991-1994 2,471
Arnold Walker Alcorn State 2010-2013 2,374 (Alcorn's top rusher)
Cornelius Walker Grambling State 2007-2010 2,350
Jay Peck Alabama State 2004-2007 2,346
Steve McNair (QB) Alcorn State 1991-1994 2,327
John Gibbs Jr. (QB) Alcorn State 2012-2015 2,188
Tommy Gooden Jackson State 2010-2013 2,153
Gene Blanchard Alabama State 1963-1966 2,021
Larry Cowan Jackson State 1978-1981 2,018

Journalist said:
He is the type of kid that you want to be the face of your athletic program, and I'm not saying that because he is a Jag.

I will argue with anyone that Tillery is the most complete RB I've seen in a while in the conference. Nobody really talks about it, but he is awesome in pass protection. Pass pro is something RBs get skittish about, but if you look at the tape you will see Tillery slide and dig a shoulder into a free blitzed time and time again.

I know his family very well and have had quite a few conversations with this kid. As much as I want my G-Men to light fire in his *** in the Bayou Classic, he is a very good RB and can play at the next level. Tillery believes with all of his heart that he is the best running back in Louisiana. I love it. There is nothing wrong with that. Being overshadowed by LF drives him to be good at everything. Tillery can block the pass rush very well. He is a physical back who likes to find ways to turn a gain of 6 to a gain of 10. If Odums wasn't his head coach, I would be "worried" on gameday against ny G-Men instead of "concerned". Lol

I know his family very well and have had quite a few conversations with this kid. As much as I want my G-Men to light fire in his *** in the Bayou Classic, he is a very good RB and can play at the next level. Tillery believes with all of his heart that he is the best running back in Louisiana. I love it. There is nothing wrong with that. Being overshadowed by LF drives him to be good at everything. Tillery can block the pass rush very well. He is a physical back who likes to find ways to turn a gain of 6 to a gain of 10. If Odums wasn't his head coach, I would be "worried" on gameday against ny G-Men instead of "concerned". Lol

He showed me a lot in the Georgia game. He was breaking tackles, getting YAC. That TD run he had on Georgia was classic Tillery. Some speed to get to the edge and toughness to drag a dude 7 yards into the end zone.

Last edited:
He showed me a lot in the Georgia game. He was breaking tackles, getting YAC. That TD run he had on Georgia was classic Tillery. Some speed to get to the edge and toughness to drag a dude 3 yards into the end zone.

You must be reading my mind. I JUST watched the entire game for the 5th time just this past Friday day. And the thing that really really stood out to me was Tillery's rushing, his staying in the game [focused, mentally, physical posture, consistent running], and the experimentation that SU staff was playing for a few w/ musical qbs. smh Also, how a few OL were missing their blocks smh. It's like a few were just going through the motion a few times and had no intent to hit to move a defender smh.

I look forward to him showcasing his skillset vs PVAMU. He's god awfully gifted and has that Texas "dog" in him. lol

You must be reading my mind. I JUST watched the entire game for the 5th time just this past Friday day. And the thing that really really stood out to me was Tillery's rushing, his staying in the game [focused, mentally, physical posture, consistent running], and the experimentation that SU staff was playing for a few w/ musical qbs. smh Also, how a few OL were missing their blocks smh. It's like a few were just going through the motion a few times and had no intent to hit to move a defender smh.

I look forward to him showcasing his skillset vs PVAMU. He's god awfully gifted and has that Texas "dog" in him. lol

My only knock on Tillery (really a nitpick) is that he fights soooo much that it gives chances for the ball to get knocked out. But I love that never-say-die mentality.

Journalistpost: 2544033 said:
My only knock on Tillery (really a nitpick) is that he fights soooo much that it gives chances for the ball to get knocked out. But I love that never-say-die mentality.
I agree. That's something I was told he was going to work on this season. Other than that, he is solid. I called my Gramfam during the first half of the UGA game and was like, "I told y'all that MFer don't give a **** when he puts his shoulder down." Lol.

Tillery is a bad man. I just hope Odums continues to make boneheaded decisions when they come down the street. Down 20-3 last year, I sat in that dome and found peace when I realized that Odums wasn't going to feed Tillery anymore. That kid runs with passion.

Last edited:

It's my understanding that he doesn't turn it over though Journ. So, in that regard, he's Mr Reliable. He's definitely a fighter when it comes to YAContact. One would have to be a man-beast to take him down one-on-one, imho. Looking @ that georgia clip made me salivate for football even more.

Holmes was a bad boy. He'd have some D1 records in his pocket if he'd done a full 4 years. Did he ever get a shot in the NFL?

Holmes did make a CFL All-Star team. He should have been in the NFL. Holmes probably would've been close to 6k yards if he played all four years. Dude was awesome!

Getting 910 yards is not exactly easy.. My question is..... will the SU offense look different or will the train he was on just keep moving in the same direction!?

Getting 910 yards is not exactly easy.. My question is..... will the SU offense look different or will the train he was on just keep moving in the same direction!?

The o-line returns three starters, including All-SWAC selections Lee and Mosely. Other likely starters played last season. Coach Berry is still in charge of the o-line. So up front, Southern should have some continuity.

Biggest concern is nagging injury slowing him down. Dude has been durable for these three years. Keep in mind he has averaged 1100 yards these past two seasons, so getting close to 1,000 isn't out of the realm possibility

Austin Howard shoulder was hurt on the very first play of that game. Austin is very accurate, notice how he was missing wide open WR's.

I agree. That's something I was told he was going to work on this season. Other than that, he is solid. I called my Gramfam during the first half of the UGA game and was like, "I told y'all that MFer don't give a **** when he puts his shoulder down." Lol.

Tillery is a bad man. I just hope Odums continues to make boneheaded decisions when they come down the street. Down 20-3 last year, I sat in that dome and found peace when I realized that Odums wasn't going to feed Tillery anymore. That kid runs with passion.
Odums wasn't the OC. We were chopping y'all up with the short passing game and Tillery, then after sucking the D in hit you with a long bomb. Why that play-calling suddenly changed, we'll never know. lol

It's my understanding that he doesn't turn it over though Journ. So, in that regard, he's Mr Reliable. He's definitely a fighter when it comes to YAContact. One would have to be a man-beast to take him down one-on-one, imho. Looking @ that georgia clip made me salivate for football even more.

ArTillery is no joke to tackle 1on1

Back