SWAC Battle of the Bands: December 7th after the SWAC Championship Game

Antroy

Copied and pasted the last part of the press release:

The SWAC Football Championship will also include the Battle of the Bands competition with all of the conference’s member institutions. The contest will begin immediately following the football championship game at Reliant Stadium and admission is included with purchase of a game ticket.

http://www.swac.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&ATCLID=208474860
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, what does this do to the Honda Battle of the Bands? Will the SWAC rep recycle the same show or come up with something new for the Honda?

Im sure it will be a different crowd so they can do the same show if they want. However, JSU did two different shows last year but that is also because halftime is shorter than the Honda Show. Since we will be doing the halftime show in Houston, our Honda Show (if we put our name on the list) will be longer so they will have to be somewhat different. Now to those of you doing the post game show.... ya'll can probably do the same one at both events.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
BOTB Back at the SCG in Houston

So.....a SWAC BOTB is back at the SCG this year. Im sure its an attempt to boost the attendance at the game. The BOTB will be held directly after the game. I got mixed feelings about this.............

What say you????

Re: BOTB Back at the SCG in Houston

Is it only the bands of the participating schools? Would be nice to let the SWAC fans vote on two additional schools to appear.

So.....a SWAC BOTB is back at the SCG this year. Im sure its an attempt to boost the attendance at the game. The BOTB will be held directly after the game. I got mixed feelings about this.............

What say you????

Is it only the bands of the participating schools? Would be nice to let the SWAC fans vote on two additional schools to appear.
I dont think that the fans voting is a good idea.

Why only two additional schools???

Last edited:

It's a definite attempt to snag the "casual fan". Take my wife, for example. She is forever traumatized from the 2009 SCG in the freezing rain in B'ham. She vowed she would never go back. But she loves H-town....and now with the addition of the BOTB, she already wants to go no matter who is playing!!!! So I guess mission accomplished for the SWAC....lol.

This is why the SWAC is a failure. This dumb azz commissioner let the SCG die for 10 years and then all of a sudden he would like to bring back the battle of the bands .What dumb azz!!!

Honestly the battle of the bands is a pretty good idea....The juries still out on having a rematch football game though.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

With the internet, HBCU bands have lost the "wow" factor. There's nothing new under the sun. Not sure how this will work. This isn't the 90s.

GR will not like this. Not at all.

Why not? It is AFTER the game. He will not have to stay. Lol. Not like they will be allowed to play during the game. As long as it don't take away from the game itself he will be fine.

Folks in Houston don't want to see any bands but Southern U., Texas Southern and perhaps PV. It's a good idea though to compliment the game. Southern U. band will probably be there anyway after winning the SWAC West.......

Folks in Houston don't want to see any bands but Southern U., Texas Southern and perhaps PV. It's a good idea though to compliment the game. Southern U. band will probably be there anyway after winning the SWAC West.......

Lol

I think it's an excellent idea. It has nothing to do with the game. Heck, battle of the bands in Jackson usually draw 50,000.

It is a good idea if it's promoted the right way. In Houston you better have much as possible associated with an event to get and hold on to the casual fan's attention.

It worked for the first SCG.

yeah but that was before the youtube age.......... It WILL get more people to the stadium... but not enough to justify paying all the bands to show up. Battle of the bands are like step shows... after you see a couple of bands perform it gets boring. Thats why most battle of the bands are going to the "face off" style battles instead of the field show battles.

Back