Work /life balance

buckwheat

Are you a workaholic or do you work the required hours and then head home to be with the family. I sometimes work more than 8 hours during the day, but I still make sure that I get home in enough time to spend with the family.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/16/tech/web/cashmore-facebook-sandberg/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

(CNN) -- Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg recently set off quite a debate in the tech world when she told an interviewer that she works a 9-to-5 schedule:

"I walk out of this office every day at 5:30 so I'm home for dinner with my kids at 6, and interestingly, I've been doing that since I had kids," Sandberg said in a video posted on Makers.com. "I did that when I was at Google, I did that here, and I would say it's not until the last year, two years that I'm brave enough to talk about it publicly. Now I certainly wouldn't lie, but I wasn't running around giving speeches on it."

Here's the essential questions raised by the tech executive's comments and the debate that followed: In a competitive industry where your work is never truly complete, has it become socially awkward to leave work at a time that used to be the standard?

Pamela Stone: Bravo to Sandberg for leaving at 5:30

And are those working eight-hour days that end at 5 p.m. being quietly judged by their co-workers? Whatever happened to "work-life balance"? Worse still: Are those who work these "standard" hours being overlooked for promotions?

Right now, I am a workaholic. Even a lot of my pleasure events are really about work/career. That may change one day but I got a lot of work to do right now to get where I want to go.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Right now, I am a workaholic. Even a lot of my pleasure events are really about work/career. That may change one day but I got a lot of work to do right now to get where I want to go.

Once you get married and have kids that will change.

No, I leave my ASU work at ASU. That was something my mother promoted big time: Leave your work at work. When you come home, now you can work on YOUR side thing for YOU but not for someone else. And make sure you put in time with your kids...they are only small once and they are sponges when they are little. They'll remember when you didn't have time for them...

No, I leave my ASU work at ASU. That was something my mother promoted big time: Leave your work at work. When you come home, now you can work on YOUR side thing for YOU but not for someone else. And make sure you put in time with your kids...they are only small once and they are sponges when they are little. They'll remember when you didn't have time for them...

I like that!

They are probably out creeping. :lol:

I believe so. It is some cats I know who are married and I have never seen their wives and they are always on the move. I came either to the conclusions that 1) they are creeping a lot 2) not REALLY Married 3) Gay and lying about it.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius

Some folks are at it 16 hours a day, but it doesn't feel like work because they enjoy what they do. :)

I'm a work-a-holic, but not just for my job. I've always got something going on and something productive to do.

I don't believe there is or in a work life balance. Any and every little thing that yor not in con trol of is your fault. Your on borderline terminated watch every minute of your life. Your always wondering if you have a job or career. Nothing is enough. You constantly worry about your future due to not making qoutas having consistency or just plain right being perfect. I can go on... It'll never be a balance. Especially for young college grads and young people trying to fight there employers baby boomers economy and future.... I'm always thinking about work even on off days

Last edited:
I will say this, I tend to work in some shape form or fashion everyday. Whether it is my formal job, my non-profit, professional development group or church.

I've never been a "work-a-holic." Whatever needed to be done to complete the assigned stories for that day (whether it was one or five), I dedicated the proper time and energy to them for however long it took.

I only "took work home" when I made an error or I believed I personally could have done a little bit better.

But rarely have I ever worked OT or extra hours when it wasn't required, though to sacrifice personal time.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
At what point did she have a family though. It is hard to say you won't work more than 8 hours in the early stages of your career. Also, trying to meet people, get on their schedule sometimes requires jumping through hoops, stroking ego's.

At what point did she have a family though. It is hard to say you won't work more than 8 hours in the early stages of your career. Also, trying to meet people, get on their schedule sometimes requires jumping through hoops, stroking ego's.

I think that depends on the industry/career you are in.

I've never been a "work-a-holic." Whatever needed to be done to complete the assigned stories for that day (whether it was one or five), I dedicated the proper time and energy to them for however long it took.

I only "took work home" when I made an error or I believed I personally could have done a little bit better.

But rarely have I ever worked OT or extra hours when it wasn't required, though to sacrifice personal time.

:(

Even if this were true, I would never admit it to anyone.

This explains a lot.

What's wrong with that approach?

Nothing is wrong in that approach, in my opinion, IF you are comfortable with where you are in life. But if you'd like to go further in your career, you may need more drive [or better connections/networking]. Only you can make that call.

What's more sad is that you would even ask this question.

What's worse than that is I really believe that you don't know.

:shame:

You're so mean! :smh: :lol:
Ken is a YOUNG man with no wife and children. He's not an oooooooooold... I mean seasoned man with life experiences and kid(s) like you. :) As he gets older and starts a family, his views may likely change.

You're so mean! :smh: :lol:
Ken is a YOUNG man with no wife and children. He's not an oooooooooold... I mean seasoned man with life experiences and kid(s) like you. :) As he gets older and starts a family, his views may likely change.

Don't coddle him, Crit. This is serious.

Being young is the prime time a man SHOULD be ambitious and hard-working. Our attitudes toward achievement don't improve as we get older. We tend to be most idealistic when we're young and soften our stances as we age.

This makes me sad. Kendrick is too smart and too talented to allow the gifts he's been blessed with to go to waste due to a lackadaisical attitude.

If that is mean, so be it.

Nothing is wrong in that approach, in my opinion, IF you are comfortable with where you are in life. But if you'd like to go further in your career, you may need more drive [or better connections/networking]. Only you can make that call.

I've never been motivated by money, prestige, gaining a certain position or looking ahead too far down the line. The only real thing I'm driven by is (and this is serious) producing the best possible pieces I can for those who read my work.

I've always taken one day at a time approach. Focus on whatever that day's task or tasks were and grind until it was completed. If I take care of today, then tomorrow will take care of itself.

Don't coddle him, Crit. This is serious.

Being young is the prime time a man SHOULD be ambitious and hard-working. Our attitudes toward achievement don't improve as we get older. We tend to be most idealistic when we're young and soften our stances as we age.

This makes me sad. Kendrick is too smart and too talented to allow the gifts he's been blessed with to go to waste due to a lackadaisical attitude.

If that is mean, so be it.

Not trying to "coddle" him. I just think he needs to do what works for him. I didn't hear lazy in his post. Seems like he does what needs to be done to get the work done. Should he go over and beyond? None of us know that but him. In my opinion, that depends on where and who he works with/for. Sometimes you can work your butt off and it still gets you nowhere; then it's (should be) time to look elsewhere.

In everything, there should be balance. Don't work yourself to death (literally for some) that you don't enjoy life outside of work. Unless you're self-employed, you can work yourself crazy only to be let go- especially in this economy. Employers aren't loyal to you; don't be so loyal to them. Work smart, not hard (unless that's just your true, natural work ethic), and that can be done without over extending yourself with the right game plan.

Back