Mississippi Football: Highschool Playoff Run Starts

jstate83

GOAT FARM!
Clarion ledger Super 10 Poll.

Super 10 Football Poll

1. South Panola 11-0 1
Last week: Beat DeSoto Central 50-7 Friday: Grenada (4-7)

What we like: Versatile Kendrick Market scored three TDs as Tigers run winning streak to 23. Now the University begins its playoff run and bid for its seventh state title in eight years against Chargers from just 40 miles down the road

2. Meridian 11-0 2
Last week: Beat Terry 42-7 Friday: Ocean Springs (7-4)

What we like: Wildcats had little trouble with Terry, scoring on five of first six possessions to finish first undefeated regular season since 1982. Now 'Cats and stingy defense begin playoffs seeking second state title in three years

3. West Jones 10-0 3
Last week: Beat Pearl River Central 49-17 Friday: D'Iberville (5-6)

What we like: Devontay Barnett's 3 TDs help West Jones finish perfect regular season. Only one team (Stone) played Mustangs to within two touchdowns all season. Is this the year that elusive state championship trophy makes its way to Soso
?

4. Lafayette County 12-0 4
Last week: Beat North Pontotoc 49-7 Friday: Louisville (2nd round, 4A playoffs)

What we like: Junior QB Jeremy Liggins, who has accounted for 27 TDs, has gotten most of the ink for the Commodores, but the defense has been downright nasty. They haven't allowed more than one TD for seven consecutive weeks

Ranking by Classification.

6A
1. South Panola 11-0
2. Meridian 11-0
3. Petal 9-2
4. Gulfport 10-1
5. Northwest Rankin 10-1

5A
1. West Jones 10-0
2. West Point 10-1
3. Ridgeland 11-0
4. Wayne County 9-2
5. Picayune 8-2

4A
1. Lafayette County 12-0
2. Noxubee County 11-1
3. New Albany 12-0
4. North Pike 11-1
5. Purvis 10-1

3A
1. Forest 11-0
2. Philadelphia 12-0
3. Aberdeen 11-1
4. Charleston 11-1
5. Tylertown 9-2

2A
1. Taylorsville 11-0
2. Calhoun City 12-0
3. East Webster 12-0
4. Bassfield 10-2
5. Lumberton 10-1

1A
1. Durant 11-0
2. Mount Olive 7-4
3. Okolona 9-2
4. Nanih Waiya 9-2
5. Vardaman 8-3

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
My teams to watch:

South Panola (of course), West Jones and Philadelphia.

If West Jones and West Point meet in the championship game, that should be a great match up.

I bet South Panola is itching to get back at Meridian for that 2008 loss. I don't see anyone else in 6A stopping these two teams.

I bet South Panola is itching to get back at Meridian for that 2008 loss. I don't see anyone else in 6A stopping these two teams.

Probably so.

Meridian's defense is good enough to get them to the championship game, but I don't think they have the offense to keep up with South Panola.

my high school (Ruleville Central) is still in the 3A playoffs after a win last week... maybe every game should be an elimination game because thats been our case the last two weeks :lol

Oh yeah... South Panola wont be stopped :lol

Last edited:

Probably so.

Meridian's defense is good enough to get them to the championship game, but I don't think they have the offense to keep up with South Panola.

Thats who I got for the 6A final. If Nicholas "Big" Parker was not hurt and worn out back in 2008, Meridian azz would have been grass. Meridian got a good team but they don't want to see South Panola for at least the next 3 years. :lol: SP's Freshmen and Sophomore 2009, 6A State Title team are Veterans now. :lol:

SP's Freshmen and Sophomore 2009, 6A State Title team are Veterans now. :lol:

I said that last year as well as the CL ... that's a scary thought for the next couple of years for anyone that has SP on their schedule .... :(

Last edited:
Thats who I got for the 6A final. If Nicholas "Big" Parker was not hurt and worn out back in 2008, Meridian azz would have been grass. Meridian got a good team but they don't want to see South Panola for at least the next 3 years. :lol: SP's Freshmen and Sophomore 2009, 6A State Title team are Veterans now. :lol:

Didn't Parker still run the ball 30+ times during that game? I've never seen anything like that. The kid was limping bad and they kept running him. :shame:

Didn't Parker still run the ball 30+ times during that game? I've never seen anything like that. The kid was limping bad and they kept running him. :shame:

Yep.
But the guy could hardly walk though like you said.

He got both ankles hurt in the overtime playoff game the week before at Madison Central in a tropical storm. In the State Championship, he sat out nearly the entire 1st half. When he did get in the game, he was dragging people but had no speed. He could not be stopped until Meridian figured out that all they had to do was string him along the line and make him cut quick up field. His ankles could not take the sudden cuts and Meridian just started leg tackling him after 5 or 6 yards. In all, he played maybe 1 qtr of time during the entire game.

If I was his parents in that game, I would have personally drug my son off the field in that particular game. He could have been hurt for life playing in the shape he was in. I felt sorry for that kid out there sucking it up like he did whenever the ball was in play. :nod:

Last edited:
If I was his parents in that game, I would have personally drug my son off the field in that particular game. He could have been hurt form life playing in the shape he was in. I felt sorry for that kid out there sucking it up like he did whenever the ball was in play. :nod:

I swear I was thinking the same thing.

I would have walked down to that field and took my son off the field. If the coach said anything to me, we would have been fighting. That was ridiculous. Like you said, they could have caused him serious damage. At the time, he was a D1 prospect and there was no reason to put his career in jeopardy like that.

They ran the heck out of Parker, yea im with yall.. If I even knew that boy and his parents I would have went in got him offf the field. Winning aint that important..
RE Match Meridian vs the University of SP... The SWAC should be shooting hard to get some of these kids... Meridian got a Linebacker that I dont believe catches the Eye of the SEC but he is Pretty Good... Hopefully we (Meridian) dont waste any more talent sending them to Ole Miss and State.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
OK. :goof:

First weekend under the belt and the SHOCKING WIN AWARD for week #1 go to unranked HAZELHURST Highschool with their win over 11-0 Philadelphia, the 2nd ranked team in 3A on the road. What do Hazelhurst get for beating the #2 team in 3A on the road? They get to travel to the #1 team, 12-0 Forrest. The same team that bounced them out the playoffs in the first round last year. :lol:

Guess ole JR will be up in here crowing in a few. :lmao:
The "South" Division for 3A is the shat. Hazelhurst is a middle of the pack team in that region and took out the "North" regions premier power like clockwork.
Really no other surprises.

Hazlehurst crashes 3A playoff party
Hazlehurst High School coach Todd McDaniel knows there hasn't been a lot of buzz about his team when it comes to talking about the MHSAA Class 3A race.

And he also knows that most folks around the state had already penciled in a Forest vs. Philadelphia matchup for this Friday in the quarterfinals.
But his Indians canceled that highly anticipated game this past Friday with a 16-14 road victory over previously undefeated Philadelphia, ranked No. 2 in 3A.

Find your Highschool team and playoff results

Last edited:
1st round Playoff games from around the state.

South Panola 56, Grenada 0...............CLASS 6A
Tony Conner rushed for 110 yards on four carries and scored two touchdowns as the Super 10 No. 1-ranked Tigers (12-0) beat the Chargers (4-8) in the Class 6A playoffs for their 24th straight victory. Conner scored on a 60-yard run and an 86-yard kickoff return for the defending 6A state champion. Kendrick Market had a pair of defensive TDs on a 40-yard fumble return and a 75-yard interception return for South Panola. Qyen Griffin added TD runs of 6 and 8 yards for the Tigers. South Panola's Lee Self threw TD passes of 32 yards to Dandy Dozen senior Nickolas Brassell and 4 yards to Donnell Chapman.

Forest 43, Franklin County 7...................CLASS 3A
Matthew Evans threw three touchdown passes as the Bearcats (12-0), top-ranked in 3A, beat the Bulldogs (5-8) in the 3A playoffs. Evans' TD tosses covered 30 yards to Josh Pinkston, 5 yards to Marquez Johnson and 4 yards to Treshawn Mitchell. Quillion Jones added TD runs of 5 and 2 yards for Forest. Franklin County scored on Jadarius Davis' 64-yard pass to Milton Griffin.

New Hope 46, Callaway 22.............................CLASS 5A
Zak Thrasher threw three touchdown passes as the Trojans (8-4) beat the Chargers (9-3) in the 5A playoffs. Thrasher’s TD tosses covered 71, 28 and 42 yards. Callaway got TD runs from Devonte Wright (9 yards) and Daryl Jones Jr. (13 yards), while Carl Brice threw a 13-yard TD pass to Rodrick Taylor

GAME OF THE WEEK for 2nd round.
NW RANKIN -vs- Madison Central.
In my heart, I believe this is going to get FUGGLY for a very good Northwest Rankin team.

Madison Central is going to rout these guy's for beating them 2 weeks ago giving the MC JAGS their only loss outside of the playoffs/South Panola for the last 2 years. NW. Rankin beat MC for the first time in the regular season on a last second score 24-21.

Madison Central Stomps Tupelo 48-10

MADISON — They just couldn't help it; smiles spread across the faces of the Madison Central faithful as word got around.

Northwest Rankin had rallied to beat Southaven.
The result, combined with Madison Central's 48-10 whipping of Tupelo, sets up a rematch of division rivals. Northwest owns the only blemish on MC's record, a last-second, 24-21 win on Oct. 29.
"We wanted them to win," said MC coach Bobby Hall. "We wanted another shot at them. They whipped us last time, and we wanted to play them again. It will be the biggest game in Mississippi and the whole metro will be there. We ought to play in (Mississippi Veterans) Memorial Stadium."
The Jaguars will travel to face the Cougars at 7 p.m. Friday night

#10 C/L Super 10 poll Northwest Rankin 36, Southaven 33
Reid Humphreys threw a 3-yard touchdown pass to Quade Smith with 18 seconds left as the Super 10 No. 10-ranked Cougars (11-1) beat the Chargers (9-3) in the 6A playoffs

My Alma Mater, Brookhaven, will host West Jones this Friday!
All I can say is: "Lord Be With Us" lol
Hopefully we can upset them & go another round

8 games to watch.

Madison Central (11-1) at Northwest Rankin (11-1)
Expect the biggest crowd in NWR history for the rematch between Jackson-area rivals. Will Cougs beat Jags twice in '10?
C-L says: Madison Central 27-20

South Panola (12-0) at Olive Branch (8-4)
Steadily improving Quistors try to end 13-game skid against Tigers that dates back to 2001. It figures to take a minor miracle.
C-L says: South Panola 35-14

Hazlehurst (10-2) at Forest (12-0)
Lots of playmakers on both sides. Indians won at No. 2 Philly last week, now they'll try to do the same at top-ranked Forest.
C-L says: Forest 21-14

bilde

Forest's Josh Pinkston (left) hopes to emulate brother Todd, an ex-USM star and NFL receiver, by winning a Class 3A football ring

Forest's Pinkston carries on family name for Bearcats
FOREST - Josh Pinkston wasn't in Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium that day older brother Todd helped lead Forest to its first state championship.

No, lil' Josh was across the street at the University Medical Center on that Dec. 3 day in 1992 entering the world.

"Seven pounds, 4 ounces," recalls Joann Pinkston.

Nearly 18 years (and 180-something pounds later) Pinkston is looking to do what big brother and ex-Philadelphia Eagles receiver Todd did: lead Forest to another state title.

It would be the fourth in school history for the tradition-rich Bearcats (12-0), ranked No. 1 in Class 3A, but the first since 1999.

Hazlehurst (10-2) at Forest (12-0)
Lots of playmakers on both sides. Indians won at No. 2 Philly last week, now they'll try to do the same at top-ranked Forest.
C-L says: Forest 21-14

I just don't get it, where in the hell does Hazlehurst get these damn football players and teams. Their school district was damn near closed down by the state a few years ago. Although I hate them mofos, I have the utmost respect for their football program. They take football serious in Hazlehust. In Crystal Springs.....oh well.

Back